Justin Fields’ Record Day Helps Shift His Sports Card Hobby Outlook
Just a few weeks ago the outlook for Justin Fields on the field and in the sports card hobby wasn’t great — once one of the most popular buys in the offseason, another mediocre season looked like it might doom his card prices.
Two straight strong performances, including a record-breaking rushing game, has shifted his market in a major way, however. Read about Fields and more trending football cards in this week’s NFL Market Movers.
Cards listed below are PSA 10s with a minimum average of $30 and 10 sales over the last 30 days.
PRICE GROWTH PERCENTAGE RISERS
2. Tony Pollard 2019 Prizm Base PSA 10 📈 220%
MCCAFFREY DOMINATES: The sports card hobby is just desperately hoping that Christian McCaffrey can stay healthy with the 49ers. His key Optic rookies are again at the top of the price growth percentage charts, and he’s delivered on the field so far in limited action.
McCaffrey has rushed 26 times for 132 yards and one TD in two games for San Francisco so far while adding 10 catches for 79 yards and another TD. Staying healthy and available is still the key for McCaffrey, but if he can continue to pile up snaps the 4-4 49ers suddenly have a much more dynamic offense to go along with the No. 1-ranked defense in yards per game.
PRICE GROWTH PERCENTAGE DECLINERS
2. Mac Jones 2021 Mosaic Green PSA 10 📉 56%
5. Davis Mills 2021 Prizm Silver PSA 10 📉 53%
TROUBLE FOR JONES: The QB competition in New England might have cooled with Mac Jones getting all of the snaps under center in Weeks 8 and 9 — Bailey Zappe last played in Week 7 — but the reality is that the sports card hobby wants more.
Jones had thrown at least one interception in every game this season until Sunday’s win over Indianapolis, and he hasn’t gone over 200 yards passing since Week 3. Jones’ stats just aren’t where collectors and investors want them to be for a high-profile quarterback, and the market has corrected accordingly. Jones’ PSA 10s tracked by Market Movers are down 36% collectively over the last 30 days, and some of his key Mosaic cards are among the biggest decliners.
DOLLAR GROWTH RISERS
2. Justin Fields 2021 Prizm Silver PSA 10 📈 $131
3. Patrick Mahomes 2017 Donruss Base PSA 10 📈 $113
FIELDS HEATS UP: Just a few weeks ago you could see collectors and fans alike extremely frustrated with Justin Fields and the direction of the Chicago Bears. Through Week 7, Fields had completed just 56% of his passes for 1,048 yards, five TDs and 6 INTs. Over the last two weeks, Fields has eight total TDs and zero turnovers — he also set an NFL record for rushing yards in a game by a QB on Sunday with 178.
The passing numbers can still improve, but Fields has looked much better in the offense overall in Weeks 8 and 9, and the addition of Chase Claypool at the trade deadline shows Chicago is willing to make changes. Fields’ 2021 Prizm Silver PSA 10 is the biggest riser among his cards in terms of dollar amount this week, but key rookies like his Prizm Base, Donruss Base and Mosaic Base are all up with strong volume, too. Overall, Fields’ PSA 10s tracked by Market Movers are up 10% collectively over the last 30 days across over 450 total sales.
Back-to-back weeks of strong play doesn’t exactly absolve Fields of his previous poor play, but it’s certainly a step in the right direction for both fans and collectors.
DOLLAR GROWTH DECLINERS
1. Tom Brady 2000 Bowman Chrome Base PSA 10 📉 $2,250
2. Barry Sanders 1989 Score Base PSA 10 📉 $250
3. Justin Herbert 2020 Optic Holo PSA 10 📉 $217
4. Lamar Jackson 2018 Prizm Base PSA 10 📉 $159
BRADY CRASHES: Tom Brady hasn’t looked anything close to what many fans and collectors have expected so far this season. While it’s nice that Brady ticked over the 100,000 career passing yards mark, he’s thrown for multiple TDs in a game just once this season, and at 4-5 the Buccaneers might not even make the playoffs in a bad division.
Brady’s key 2000 Bowman Chrome Base PSA 10 has completely tanked amid the down season — it’s completely fair to think this might be his last — and recently hit its lowest price over the last 365 days at $8,065. Some of this massive decline can be attributed to the market as a whole, with the Football 2000-2009 Index down 46.8% over the last year, but Brady’s Bowman Chrome is still outpacing that dip by a wide margin.
Despite massive dips during a frustrating season, long-term Brady collectors should still feel relatively safe that the football GOAT will eventually trend back up.
SALES VOLUME LEADERS
1. Josh Allen 2018 Donruss Base PSA 10 📈 194 sales
2. Justin Herbert 2020 Donruss Base PSA 10 📈 109 sales
3. Justin Herbert 2020 Absolute Base PSA 10 📈 105 sales
4. Trevor Lawrence 2021 Donruss Base PSA 10 📈 104 sales
5. Joe Burrow 2020 Prizm Base PSA 10 📈 102 sales
POPULAR SEALED WAX (HOBBY BOXES WITH MIN. 10 SALES OVER LAST 30 DAYS)
1. 2022 Score Football 📈 3%
2. 2022 Select Draft Picks Football 📉 10%
3. 2022 Certified Football 📉 6%
4. 2022 Panini Black Football 📉 2%
5. 2022 Elite Football 📉 7%
MARKET PULSE INDEXES OVER LAST 30 DAYS
Football 2018-2020: 📉 14%
- KEY RISER: Jalen Hurts 2020 Select Concourse PSA 10 📈 194%
- KEY DECLINER: Lamar Jackson 2018 Prizm Base PSA 10 📉 41%
Football 2010-2017: 📈 2%
- KEY RISER: Patrick Mahomes 2017 Prizm Silver PSA 10 📈 23%
- KEY DECLINER: Patrick Mahomes 2017 Select Premier Level PSA 10 📉 24%
Football 2000-2009: 📉 19%
- KEY RISER: Adrian Peterson 2007 Topps Chrome Base PSA 10 📈 78%
- KEY DECLINER: Tom Brady 2000 Bowman Chrome Base PSA 10 📉 21%
Football 1990-1999: 📉 6%
- KEY RISER: Jerome Bettis 1993 SP Foil PSA 9 📈 48%
- KEY DECLINER: Kurt Warner 1999 Bowman’s Best PSA 10 📉 56%
Football 1980-1989: 📉 7%
- KEY RISER: Lawrence Taylor 1982 Topps Base PSA 10 📈 8%
- KEY DECLINER: Barry Sanders 1989 Score Base PSA 10 📉 16%
Football 1979 & Older: 📉 2%
- KEY RISER: Fran Tarkenton 1962 Topps Base PSA 7 📈 15%
- KEY DECLINER: Bob Lilly 1963 Topps Base PSA 7 📉 25%
With the Sports Card Investor app, you can profit from the hobby you love by keeping up with trending cards, tracking real-time prices with Market Movers and buying items on eBay. Download the industry-leading app here for Apple or Android
Note to readers: If you purchase something through one of our affiliates, we may earn a commission.