Fans, collectors and investors have patiently been waiting for Jordan Love to take over for Aaron Rodgers in Green Bay, and we may finally be getting close to that reality. A rib injury on Sunday allowed Love to step in for a solid performance, and Rodgers’ continued uneven relationship with the franchise makes it seem like Love may be the option sooner rather than later.
While Love has trended up over the last month, New York Jets QB Zach Wilson has done the opposite, and a fantastic performance from backup Mike White has put Wilson’s future in question. Read about Love, Wilson and other trending players in this week’s NFL Market Movers.
Cards listed below are PSA 10s with a minimum average of $30 and 10 sales over the last 30 days.
PRICE GROWTH PERCENTAGE RISERS
2. Jordan Love 2020 Optic Base PSA 10 📈 184%
5. Jordan Love 2020 Mosaic Base PSA 10 📈 127%
TIME FOR LOVE: Jordan Love has been one of the hobby’s favorite stash candidates since being drafted as Aaron Rodgers‘ backup in 2020, and fans and collectors saw some encouraging things this weekend. A rib injury forced Rodgers out of Sunday’s game in Philadelphia, and Love managed to complete 6 of 9 passes for 113 yards and a touchdown in relief.
Rodgers’ future in Green Bay has been somewhat uncertain for a variety of reasons in recent years, so Love taking over at some point seems like a foregone conclusion. Love’s cards were ticking up some even before playing on Sunday, but we’ll likely see more consistent price growth now that he looked solid in limited play against arguably the NFL’s top team.
Love’s 2020 Prizm Base PSA 10, 2020 Optic Base PSA 10 and 2020 Mosaic Base PSA 10 are all among the hottest cards in the hobby right now in terms of price percentage growth, though it’s worth noting that none of those cards started out over $30.
PRICE GROWTH PERCENTAGE DECLINERS
2. Zach Wilson 2021 Mosaic Green PSA 10 📉 60%
WILSON IN TROUBLE: Zach Wilson has been pretty polarizing in the hobby so far this NFL season, mostly because the Jets have been winning despite Wilson not playing well. Wilson was finally benched this past Sunday for Mike White, however, and things look even more grim from there. White completed 22 of 28 passes for 315 yards and three TDs, and suddenly fans and collectors are questioning if the team wasted the No. 2 overall pick in 2021.
The uncertainty has spread to Wilson’s card market, too, with key rookies like his 2021 Prizm Base PSA 10 and 2021 Optic Base PSA 10 are both down big over the last 30 days. It’s certainly early in Wilson’s career, but his recent play is far from encouraging and those holding his cards aren’t in a great spot.
DOLLAR GROWTH RISERS
1. Tom Brady 2000 Bowman Chrome Base PSA 10 📈 $1,767
2. Patrick Mahomes 2017 Prizm Silver PSA 10 📈 $374
4. Justin Fields 2021 Optic Downtown PSA 10 📈 $191
5. Patrick Mahomes 2017 Donruss Base PSA 10 📈 $130
DOLLAR GROWTH DECLINERS
2. Jalen Hurts 2020 Prizm Silver PSA 10 📉 $350
3. Zach Wilson 2021 Optic Downtown PSA 10 📉 $300
5. Josh Allen 2018 Prizm Base PSA 10 📉 $251
IS DOWNTOWN SLIPPING? We often focus on specific players in this space, but one thing worth pointing out is the recent decline in Optic’s Downtown insert. Outside of Justin Fields, every 2021 Optic Downtown PSA 10 tracked by Market Movers (that qualifies) is down over the last month.
While some may look at this and think Downtown may be losing some interest in the hobby, it’s worth noting that these are low-pop, high-dollar cards — for most collectors — that can be especially volatile in a market that is largely trending down. As the football market, and sports card hobby as a whole, trends down, it’s important to remember that some of the pricier cards can be the biggest losers during that period, and Downtown may just be going through that right now.
Low population case hits like Downtown are often pitched as being some of the safest investments in the hobby among ultra-modern cards, though it’s moments like these that can remind us that no area of the market is ever really that safe.
SALES VOLUME LEADERS
1. Josh Allen 2018 Donruss Base PSA 10 📈 149 sales
2. Justin Fields 2021 Donruss Base PSA 10 📈 134 sales
3. Joe Burrow 2020 Prizm Base PSA 10 📈 111 sales
4. Justin Herbert 2020 Mosaic Base PSA 10 📈 108 sales
5. Mac Jones 2021 Prizm Base PSA 10 📈 107 sales
POPULAR SEALED WAX (HOBBY BOXES WITH MIN. 10 SALES OVER LAST 30 DAYS)
1. 2022 Select Hobby Draft Picks Football 📉 3%
2. 2022 Certified Football 📈 16%
3. 2022 Score Football 📉 8%
4. 2021 Select Football 📉 16%
5. 2022 Panini Black 📈 22%
MARKET PULSE INDEXES OVER LAST 30 DAYS
Football 2018-2020: 📉 12%
- KEY RISER: Justin Jefferson 2020 Prizm Base PSA 10 📈 74%
- KEY DECLINER: Josh Allen 2018 Prizm Base PSA 10 📉 31%
Football 2010-2017: 📈 10%
- KEY RISER: Patrick Mahomes 2017 Prizm Silver PSA 10 📈 10%
- KEY DECLINER: Patrick Mahomes 2017 Optic Base PSA 10 📉 9%
Football 2000-2009: 📉 1%
- KEY RISER: Tom Brady 2000 Bowman Chrome Base PSA 10 📈 18%
- KEY DECLINER: Tom Brady 2000 Bowman Base PSA 9 📉 21%
Football 1990-1999: 📉 5%
- KEY RISER: Peyton Manning 1998 Bowman Chrome PSA 10 📈 44%
- KEY DECLINER: Peyton Manning 1998 Topps Chrome Base PSA 10 📉 20%
Football 1980-1989: 📈📉 0%
- KEY RISER: Ronnie Lott 1982 Topps Base PSA 10 📈 83%
- KEY DECLINER: Reggie White 1986 Topps Base PSA 9 📉 43%
Football 1979 & Older: 📉 4%
- KEY RISER: Jack Lambert 1976 Topps Base PSA 9 📈 16%
- KEY DECLINER: Walter Payton 1976 Topps Base PSA 9 📉 12%
With the Sports Card Investor app, you can profit from the hobby you love by keeping up with trending cards, tracking real-time prices with Market Movers and buying items on eBay. Download the industry-leading app here for Apple or Android
Note to readers: If you purchase something through one of our affiliates, we may earn a commission.