A stretch of three 50-point performances in six games, including a massive 60-point triple-double, has lifted Luka Doncic’s card market back into positive territory. Now the clear front-runner for MVP, several of Doncic’s key rookies have soared in price over the last 30 days, including one that is now averaging nearly $2,000.
Dive into Doncic’s card market and other trending players and cards in this week’s NBA Market Movers update.
Cards listed below are PSA 10s with a minimum average of $30 and 10 sales over the last 30 days.
PRICE GROWTH PERCENTAGE RISERS
2. LeBron James 2017 Optic Base PSA 10 📈 148%
3. Rui Hachimura 2019 Prizm Silver PSA 10 📈 108%
5. LeBron James 2004 Finest Base PSA 10 📈 99%
HACHIMURA BREAKOUT: Since returning from rehab for a bone bruise on his right ankle, Rui Hachimura has looked like a new player and appears to be having a breakout season — if he keeps this up, at least. He’s averaging 18 points while shooting 44% from 3 in the seven games since his return, and suddenly the Washington Wizards are creeping back into the Eastern Conference playoff conversation with wins in five of those seven games.
As expected, Hachimura’s card market has adjusted accordingly, and his PSA 10s tracked by Market Movers are up 34% collectively over the last month. While his 2019 Prizm Base PSA 10 is still floating around just $10, his 2019 Prizm Silver PSA 10 has made a major jump and is now up over $60.
PRICE GROWTH PERCENTAGE DECLINERS
SGA’S MARKET CORRECTS: Considered a favorite from that stacked 2018 NBA Draft class, Shai Gilgeous-Alexander is finally in a long-awaited breakout season. But after a major market bump earlier this season, his card prices are starting to level back out. He’s still among the league leaders in scoring, but the reality is that Oklahoma City still isn’t a great team.
The Thunder sits at 16-22 for 13th place in the West as of Thursday afternoon, and are 5-5 over the last 10 games with two of those wins coming with SGA out of the lineup completely. There’s no doubt that Gilgeous-Alexander has emerged as a new star, but it’s fair to wonder what the ceiling on his cards is while on a bad team.
Gilgeous-Alexander’s PSA 10s tracked by Market Movers are down 4% collectively over the last 30 days, but his key rookies from Prizm, Optic, Select and Donruss have been a mixed bag. His 2018 Prizm Base PSA 10 is down slightly, but the dollar amount is less than $1 over the last 30 days, and his 2018 Optic Base PSA 10 and 2018 Donruss Base PSA 10 have maintained positive growth. The only outlier here is his 2018 Select Concourse PSA 10, which has seen a 5% dip.
Overall, the bad news for those holding SGA is that the price growth has slowed, but the good news is that the decline from that rise hasn’t been extremely sharp.
DOLLAR GROWTH RISERS
2. Luka Doncic 2018 Prizm Silver PSA 10 📈 $225
3. LeBron James 2003 Topps Base PSA 10 📈 $225
5. Stephen Curry 2009 Prestige Base PSA 10 📈 $140
HISTORIC RUN: Luka Doncic is the clear front-runner for the MVP this season, and there aren’t many great arguments for anyone else right now. Over the last six games, Doncic is averaging 45-11-10 with three 50-point outings, including his 60-21-10 triple-double in an overtime win over the Knicks back on December 23. This historic run has captivated the sports world while also having a major impact on his card market.
Already one of the most popular players in the trading card space, it can be difficult to see major bumps in prices for Doncic. His PSA 10s tracked by Market Movers are up 10% collectively over the last month, however, and his 2018 Prizm Silver PSA 10 has been the big winner from a price standpoint. That card has seen a $225 price bump over the last 30 days and is now averaging just under $1,900 per sale — what’s really impressive, though, is the 30-plus sales on that card. PSA 10s that sell once per day are showing strong volume, but it’s not common to see a card this expensive sell this often.
DOLLAR GROWTH DECLINERS
SALES VOLUME LEADERS
1. Zion Williamson 2019 Prizm Base PSA 10 📈 238 sales
2. Ja Morant 2019 Prizm Base PSA 10 📈 178 sales
3. Luka Doncic 2018 Prizm Base PSA 10 📈 176 sales
4. Zion Williamson 2019 Mosaic Base PSA 10 📈 158 sales
5. Zion Williamson 2019 Optic Base PSA 10 📈 139 sales
POPULAR SEALED WAX (HOBBY BOXES WITH MIN. 10 SALES OVER LAST 30 DAYS)
1. 2022 Chronicles Draft Picks Basketball 📉 7%
2. 2022 Revolution NBA Basketball 📈 8%
3. 2021 Contenders Optic Basketball 📉 7%
4. 2022 Prizm WNBA Basketball 📉 2%
5. 2021 Topps Inception OTE Overtime Elite Basketball 📉 43%
MARKET PULSE INDEXES OVER LAST 30 DAYS
Basketball 2018-2020: 📈 4%
- KEY RISER: Luka Doncic 2018 Optic Holo PSA 10 📈 21%
- KEY DECLINER: Trae Young 2018 Optic Holo PSA 10 📉 41%
Basketball 2010-2017: 📈 3%
- KEY RISER: Donovan Mitchell 2017 Prizm Silver PSA 10 📈 39%
- KEY DECLINER: Nikola Jokic 2015 Prizm Silver PSA 10 📉 10%
Basketball 2000-2009: 📉 4%
- KEY RISER: Kevin Durant 2007 Topps Chrome Base PSA 10 📈 36%
- KEY DECLINER: LeBron James 2003 Bowman R&S Chrome PSA 10 📉 15%
Basketball 1990-1999: 📉 6%
- KEY RISER: Kobe Bryant 1996 Hoops Base PSA 10 📈 59%
- KEY DECLINER: Shaquille O’Neal 1992 Topps Gold PSA 10 📉 50%
Basketball 1980-1989: 📈 4%
- KEY RISER: Michael Jordan 1986 Fleer Base PSA 8 📈 17%
- KEY DECLINER: Dennis Rodman 1988 Fleer Base PSA 10 📉 20%
Basketball 1979 & Older: 📉 1%
- KEY RISER: Dennis Johnson 1978 Topps Base PSA 9 📈 21%
- KEY DECLINER: Kareem Abdul-Jabbar 1969 Topps Base PSA 7 📉 6%
With the Sports Card Investor app, you can profit from the hobby you love by keeping up with trending cards, tracking real-time prices with Market Movers and buying items on eBay. Download the industry-leading app here for Apple or Android
Note to readers: If you purchase something through one of our affiliates, we may earn a commission.